Best Power Wheels for Kids in 2017 – Reviews & Comprison
Since the invention of cars, kids have wanted to get behind the wheel, just like mom and dad. Early mini cars for kids were typically constructed from wood and featured pedal or foot-powered operation. These ride-on vehicles, much like today’s high-tech models, helped children develop motor skills and balance as well as feelings of self-confidence and independence.
Ride-on cars have come a long way since the early wooden versions of the late 1800s. Beginning in about the 1930s, pedal cars were upgraded with realistic and fun features, including working headlights, horns and sleek custom paint jobs. Tiny electric motors were also introduced around the same time, giving kids the thrill of driving under their own power.
Today’s Power Wheels continue the tradition of fun that began more than 100 years ago, but your kids get to drive ride-on vehicles that are more advanced than ever before.
Boasting plenty of modern amenities such as working doors and hoods, power-lock brakes, forward and reverse modes, and functional radios, the best power wheels for kids will make your little ride feel all grown up.
8 Top Kids Power Wheels in 2017: Quick Comparison
Reviews of Best Cheap Power Wheels Cars for Kids
Here’s some of the top models designed for riders ages 1 – 8.
Fisher-Price Power Wheels Batman Lil’ Quad
Toddlers will feel just like the Caped Crusader as they cruise the neighborhood in the Fisher-Price Power Wheels Batman Lil’ Quad. Boasting sporty ATV styling and a durable plastic body, the Batman Lil’ Quad is easy for your little rider to operate. The Lil’ Quad’s maximum speed of 2 miles per hour will give you peace of mind, and it rides low, so they can get off and on their power wheels without your help, with minimal chance of tipping.
- Steering via handlebars rather than a steering wheel gives your toddler more control.
- Perfect for riders 2 – 5 years old.
- Simple to assemble with minimal tools needed.
- The 6-volt battery fully recharges in 12 hours or less.
- Features push-button stop/go operation.
Power Wheels Dune Racer
Sturdy and stylish, the Power Wheels Dune Racer is super fun to drive, and your child can bring a friend along for the ride! Both driver and passenger will stay safe thanks to the Dune Racer’s metal sidebars, Velcro seat belts and strong power-lock brakes. Hills, grass and rough terrain are no match for the powerful Monster Traction system, and the high-speed lock-out system will keep your beginner driving at a cozy speed of 2.5 miles per hour in both forward and reverse modes.
- The power wheels for kids is ideal for ages 3 – 7.
- Available with a sleek and durable red-and-black paint job and flashy chrome accents.
- Long-lasting 12-volt battery can stand up to about 2 hours of continuous drive time.
- Maximum speed of the rear-wheel drive Dune Racer is 5 miles per hour.
Fisher-Price Power Wheels Ford F150
Your little rider can have tons of off-road fun on the Fisher-Price Power Wheels Ford F150, which features extra-wide, rugged tires and an automatic electronic brake system. Realistic accents, including a built-in windshield, side-view mirrors and play engine under the hood, will make your child feel all grown up. They’ll get hours of riding fun from the strong 6-volt battery system, and the Ford F150 has both forward and reverse modes for exceptional maneuverability.
- This compact ride-on can reach a top speed of 3.5 miles per hour.
- The Power Wheels Ford F150’s roomy truck bed lets your child bring a few toys along for the ride.
- Maximum rider weight is 65 pounds.
- Easy to assemble in about 30 minutes.
BMW i8 Concept 6-Volt Electric Ride-On Car
With working speakers, BMW detailing and functioning headlights, this ride-on car is just like the real thing! The i8 Concept 6-Volt Electric Ride-On Car’s heavy-duty, 6-volt battery provides 45 minutes of driving fun on a single charge, with a top speed of 2.5 miles per hour. Straightforward instructions and zero required tools make for a quick and easy assembly of this single-seat vehicle in about 30 minutes.
- Kids love the look of this stylish, white mini BMW with blue trim and side mirrors.
- This ride-on car’s foot pedal brakes are easy to operate.
- Unlike similar ride-on vehicles, the battery arrives fully charged.
- Ideal for riders ages 3 – 8.
- Your little rider can listen to their favorite tunes by plugging an MP3 player into the input jack.
Peg Perego John Deere Ground Force Tractor with Trailer
If your kid likes to play hard, they’ll love being behind the wheel of the Peg Perego John Deere Ground Force Tractor with Trailer. Perfect for interactive play, your little rider can load up the detachable trailer and make a “delivery,” or zip around in the tractor and feel all grown up. Designed to carry riders ages 2 – 7, the Ground Force Tractor boasts a super comfortable ride, with an adjustable seat, flip-up armrests and 4WD farm tractor wheels.
- Kids can listen to their favorite tunes on the Ground Force Tractor’s real working FM radio.
- The Peg Perego John Deere Ground Force Tractor is made in the U.S.
- You can keep beginning drivers safely at 2.5 miles per hour using the high-speed lock-out mode.
- The Force Tractor’s automatic brakes stop on a dime.
- The trailer’s hauling capacity is 30 pounds.
Fisher-Price Kids Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler
Bright colors and cool sounds are the standout features of the super cool Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler. Perfect for beginning and intermediate riders ages 3 – 7, this replica Jeep Wrangler helps foster safe driving and multi-tasking skills. This deluxe Power Wheels model is equipped with a working microphone and speaker along with pre-recorded tunes your little driver can sing along to.
- Rugged wheels can easily traverse hard surfaces and grass.
- The Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler can carry up to 130 pounds of weight.
- Features two forward speeds, with a maximum of 5 miles per hour, and one reverse.
- Kids can fit all their gear in this mini Jeep’s roomy rear storage area.
- Easy to assemble in about 30 minutes.
Peg Perego John Deere Gator XUV
The bright green Peg Perego John Deere Gator XUV is sturdy and fun to drive, no matter if your child is traversing pavement, gravel or grass. Its knobby tread wheels are durable and ride smooth, and the adjustable seat means your little rider can enjoy years of riding. You can keep the youngest riders from going too fast thanks to the Gator XUV’s high-speed lock-out mode, which keeps speeds at 2.5 miles per hour. This electric ride-on is made in the U.S. using foreign and domestic components.
- Roomy enough for two riders with a max weight capacity of 130 pounds.
- Designed for kids ages 3 – 8.
- Heavy-duty 12-volt battery is rechargeable and provides about 1 hour of drive time per charge.
- Kids love the Gator XUV’s working dumpbed with tailgate.
Fisher-Price Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler
The Fisher-Price Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler looks just like the real thing, and your child will love roaming the neighborhood in their mini Jeep. Its wide tread tires provide a smooth ride over grass and hard surfaces, both indoors and out, and the Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler is roomy enough for two riders with a maximum total weight of up to 130 pounds.
- Beginning riders can cruise along at a safe and steady 2.5 miles per hour when the high-speed lock-out option is engaged.
- The Jeep’s rechargeable 12-volt battery provides about 45 minutes of continuous drive time.
- Features a rear storage area, Power-Lock brakes as well as forward and reverse modes.
- A wide wheel base provides stability and resists tipping.
Best Power Wheels for Older & Big Kids
Once your child is confident behind the wheel, he or she may want to go faster than 5 miles per hour. Bigger kids also tend to prefer less decals and metal rather than plastic construction, and they often spend more than 45 minutes riding around, meaning that the models designed for beginners just won’t cut it which creates a need for power wheels for big (older) kids.
Fortunately, your older kids have plenty of options in the realm of ride-on vehicles. Whether your little daredevil wants to tear up the off-road track or simply wants to speed around the neighborhood, you’ll find the perfect ride at a variety of price points.
Upgraded Power Wheels-type vehicles include electric bikes, mini Vespa scooters, dune buggy and ATVs. These vehicles boast a heavier rider capacity and higher speeds, up to 15 miles per hour, making them a great choice for older & big kids.